Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Winchester Cathedral!






[Firstly, my apologies for having all the photos scrunched up together, and all the words thrown into a heap. Maybe it's the other way around, but I've always appreciated having pictures to go WITH the words, not before or after or sideways or whatnot. So, sorry for any irritation, aggravation, or whatever; just be happy I managed to figure out how to post pix at all!]

So, today we visited Winchester Cathedral. The transept, or side-sections, were Norman (i.e. early 12th century), while the majority of the nave (body of the church) was built in the Perpendicular style in the 14th century. The Cathedral is not only the antagonist of a song (google it!), but also serves as a shrine, in a sense, to one of literature's greatest heroines: Jane Austen. Throughout the cathedral are also buried many war casualties, and there are literally volumes of names of the dead open throughout the cathedral.

The second photo shows a lion and a unicorn - the two "mascots" of England - grinning at you from within a glass box. Originally, these two creatures flanked the enormous organ (which I did not show; sorry.Just picture lots of glittering pipes lined up in straight rows. There you have it!)

And a view of the amazing mural-which-isn't-a-mural-because-it's-on-the-ceiling of the angels. I don't know what you call it when it's on the ceiling and not on the wall, but essentially it's a mural. Just on the ceiling.

6 comments:

  1. Yes, it is the antagonist in a song! I knew that!
    Yay for old CD's that my Grandma Mueller gave me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To get the photos to be in the text, you have to go to settings and select the updated editor setting.
    that worked for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! And, by the way, I think I'm not speaking to you for a while because I haven't seen you post a comment for ... well, nearly forty-eight hours by now, I should think. Where have you been? What on earth can be more important to you than ME?

    ReplyDelete
  4. 24 hours. Ok, you're forgiven. Let's talk! EMAIL ME!

    ReplyDelete