Wednesday, September 15, 2010

HELLO STONEHENGE!





Today, our field trip was scheduled for Wells Cathedral and the ruins of Glastonbury abbey. Due to unforseen events, plans were to change - although with a pleasant surprise as side-effect.

Wells Cathedral, built in the 13th and 14th centuries, is entirely Gothic in style, with no Norman or Anglo-Saxon structure or design to speak of. The cathedral was built near the Wells of St. Andrew, the town's source of water - hence the name. The cathedral also boasts the oldest-working clock ... in the world! [sorry the picture is so terrible; it was very dark in that particular corner. If you really want, you can probably find something better online at Google Images or whatnot.] It's a pretty neat little piece, too, with knights who joust around together, and one poor chap get his head knocked off eight times each quarter of an hour. That's four million times in his existence. If ever there were a purgatorio for wooden soldiers ... talk about a contropasso!

The ceilings were also magnificent! I don't know about you, but I love this amazing fan vaulting, and here in Wells, the painting ... absolutely gorgeous!

The cathedral itself, from the outside, is magnificent as well, imposing, very well preserved (to my amateur eye).

During our lunch break, we enjoyed strolling through the open-air market in Wells. We bought bread and cheese for lunch (stilton with cranberries. ALMOST my favorite!) and then some people bought fudge. I treated myself to a bit of turkish delight, and although it was good, I don't think it would be my first choice over everything ... even if it is magical!

Unfortunately, because of some bunch of cyclists calling themselves the Tour de Britain, we couldn't get in to Glastonbury and see the ruins. I think our guide and professor was even more dissappointed than we were, but we did get to see a bit of a glimpse from outside the fence.

On our way home, we passed STONEHENGE, which was absolutely amazing; perfect timing, with the sun setting in the background, clear sky, etc. Last time I passed Stonehenge, it was at five in the morning and the foggiest night ever ... but that's another story!

We had our first "colloquium" (from the lating from "speak together," or conversation) or seminar yesterday, where we discussed St. Augustine. Thankfully, I've had considerable experience in this, and I felt I did remarkably well (Dr. Bart, my greatest gratitude!), so I am looking forward to next week!

Tomorrow a small group of us have a local field trip to Christ Church, here in Oxford ... so be on the lookout!

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm! Turkish Delight! I haven't had some in so long! Where's a White Witch passing it out when you need one?

    ReplyDelete