Sunday, September 19, 2010

Christ Church






Hello all! It's been a busy weekend, so my apologies for my silence ... though actually, you were all probably really enjoying that respite ...

Anyway, so, on Thursday a few of us toured Christ Church Cathedral, not only the church for the college but also for all of the C of E diocese of Oxford. Christ Church College is one of the more prestigious colleges, also famous as the setting for the Harry Potter films (For those of you interested, we got to see the "Moving Stairs," but as a non-fan,I'm afraid I couldn't appreciate their significance, besides the architectural value). Also, for fellow nonsense-nerds, Charles Dodgson came to study maths at Christ Church. But that's another story. :D

The cathedral is small (comparatively) but pretty. Here are photos of the altar, organ, and a beautiful rose window!

I am right now taking a five-minute break from prepping my integral essay; there were numerous essay topics, including "in what way did this period of history see the making of a common European identity?" / "how far was artistic and/or architectural development driven by technological change?" / "how useful a category is 'medieval political theory'?" ... but I chose none of these! I am going to talk about literary genres in the Middle Ages - cool, huh? Yeah. That's my topic!

Anyway, Wednesday we are taking a trip to ... guess where! I guess you'll see! :D

4 comments:

  1. (Eddie here) I think those ducks were some type of coot. perhaps Eurasian. And Harold is a good name for a knight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the name Harold :) Coots sound cool; I'll have to look them up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SHE'S ALIVE!!!!! I was wondering what happened to you! Don't go and disappear like that again!!!! I was seriously like, "AAAAH! What happened to her?!?!?" Lol. And don't think that we were "enjoying that respite"! I missed you, at least... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry :) It's been getting busier and busier ... ! I have six books on my desk right now that I plan to take notes from today, and I've requested another four or five from the library for tomorrow; besides tomorrow's normal two lectures in the morning, we have a local afternoon field trip. Wednesday we have our big field trip, which means not a lot of reading time, then Thurs/Fri we'll be back on track - with more books! :D 7 October we have our exam for this integral part of the semester, which means 4 1000-word take-home essays on this month's lectures. We're trying to get in as much reading as possible before the end of next week!!!

    ReplyDelete