Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Rain

Today, it RAINED. A good, strong, proper British rain. Only sad point: I didn't have my wellies on :( Next time!

Now, guys, we have just a few minutes for Flattery 101. Learn from the best!

« Since my lady of Champagne / Wishes me to begin a romance, / I shall do so most willingly, / As one who is entirely at her service / I anything he can undertake in this world. / I say this without any flattery, / Though another might begin his story / With the desire to flatter her. / He might say (and I would agree) / That she is the lady who surpasses / All women who are alive, / Just as the foehn which blows in May or April, / Surpasses the other winds. / Certainly I am not one / Intent upon flattering his lady; / Will I say: ‘as the polished diamond / Eclipses the pearl and the sard, / The countess eclipses queens’? / Indeed not; I’ll say nothing of the sort / Though it be true in spite of me. / I will say, however, that her command / Has more importance in this work / Than any thought or effort I might put into it.”

- Chretien de Troyes. Command of words. It's a beautiful thing.

3 comments:

  1. I'm just curious: does it rain a lot over there? I mean, is there like a rainy season, or anything? I know it rains quite a bit in Ireland (hence "The Emerald Isle"), so I was curious whether it's kind of the same thing :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just stopping by to say thank you for the wonderful story you posted on my blog this week! You're a great writer :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Demery,

    Thanks for stopping by, and for following "Wimsey and Wooster!" Glad you liked the story; it was a lot of fun :) You'll be seeing me again soon!

    ~ Catherine :)

    ReplyDelete