Friday, November 19, 2010

Week 6, Michaelmas Term: Make like a tree ...

















And leaf! Here are some cool shots of the Christ Church parks along the Thames ... I took a walk this afternoon in the beautiful, warm, sunny weather!

Next week is our penultimate: I can only shake my head at the trickery of Father Time.

But this weekend, I have my Dante seminar paper to work on (did I tell y'all? I'm writing on Dante and T. S. Eliot. Two of my favorite authors!), and my final Jane Austen paper - my tutor is giving me two weeks for a final, longer project: I'm going to study and write on the Aunt figure in the six novels. There's at least one in every novel: think Lady Russell, Lady Bertram, Mrs. Norris, Mrs. Jennings, Lady Catherine de Bourgh ...

Poor Lady Catherine. She takes such hard knocks for just wanting the best for those around her! Only it ends up as snobbish meddling ... hmmm. Somehow, somewhere, there is a corollary here between her and a certain very meddlesome matchmaker ... ooooooh senior thesis, can you smell it???

And my 'courtly romances' tutorial paper - I'm reading Sir Gawain! Yay! - which technically isn't a courtly romance, but it's just sort of for the fun of it. And I can read Tolkien's translation! Epic win!

And now, for a bit of well-deserved R&R; I am taking the evening OFF, and I am going to waste it completely on youtube and writing. Ahhh, it's a beautiful thing!

2 comments:

  1. wow. These are really artistic like. All of my pictures have bits of people in them, so they look really weird. Except I can say- look, that's Anna's leg!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :D Glad you like the pix. I've been practicing ... these are a few odd ones out of a few hundred which have turned out decently. *sigh* I really, really, really hope that's not how it works with novels ...

    ReplyDelete