Friday, November 5, 2010

Week 4, Michaelmas Term: Melted ...

... into a blissful nothingness, with little more than memory to stoke the dull ashes. But I am mixing metaphors, and with that, I'll leave you to it.

Yes, another week gone: and very little to show for it. The highlight was indeed an unexpected trip to the Ashmolean museum this afternoon, with a friend, where we discovered the special exhibit of the Pre-Raphaelite artists. As students, we were allowed free admittance, and there began a delightful three quarters of an hour where I, enraptured, chortled and cooed over the glorious images, while she wondered at my enthusiasm. The Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood actually came after the painter Raphael, in the 19th century, but their style/technique/concept of art was supposedly from before Raphael's influence. Some famous Pre-R artists include William Holman Hunt, Dante Gabriel Rosetti, John Everett Millais; you'll probably recognize some of their paintings better than their names, so take a mo and look them up! I particularly like Hunt's "Miranda and the Tempest" and "Lady of Shalott." Rosetti did a number of works of Dante and Beatrice. Millais has a beautiful painting of the Holy Family, as well as a really good portrait of John Henry Newman, interestingly enough. And, did you know, Edward Lear, the nonsense-poet, also dabbled in the fine arts? With quite some success, in my opinion! I was amazed at how much depth of expression the writer of

There was a Young Lady whose nose,
Was so long that it reached to her toes;
So she hired an Old Lady,
Whose conduct was steady,
To carry that wonderful nose.

could reach. Quite an enjoyable afternoon!

And now, for Emma, that incorrigible young woman; will she ever learn to truly think of others? Perhaps Mr. Knightley will be able to cure her of busybodiness. We shall see!

4 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous! The Pre-Raphaelites are my absolute favorite painters. I love Waterhouse, particularly his "Ophelia" and "La Belle Dame Sans Merci."

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right. I did recognize some of those paintings. I really like "Miranda and the Tempest", as well! Very cool!
    Speaking of Emma, if you haven't yet, you should really watch the new BBC version that just came out! It is really good, and more faithful to the story than the one with Gwyneth Paltrow. 'Course, part of that might have to do with the fact that the movie, itself, is, at least, three hours long, but- yeah. :D It's a good one, though! Definitely worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kiernan, wish you were here to see them! - and yes, my apologies, "Miranda" and "Shalott" are Waterhouse; how could I confuse them? But there weren't any Waterhouse works in the exhibit, unfortunately!

    Brenna, I haven't seen the new "Emma" yet, but I am going to try to soon! I am very much in love with the GP Mr. Knightley, though, so it's going to be difficult ... ! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. ....Okay, you might have to explain "GP" to me :D I really liked Jeremy Northam as Mr. Knightley in the movie w/Gwyneth Paltrow, actually. I liked this new movie, but I am still "very much in love" with that particular Mr. Knightley, myself ;)Lol! But yeah... It was still really good!

    ReplyDelete