Thursday, December 16, 2010

There and Back Again: A Student's Tale


Alas for the end.

But like all good stories, this story, too, must fade and vanish into the foggy air of London. Well, perhaps it's not to fade, but to evolve, for at the end of every tunnel there is a light, and at the end of one heck of a long plane ride, there is the culture shock of Caribou Coffee and $$$ signs and driving on the CORRECT side of the road. And snow. LOTS of snow.
I woke up this morning to a complex and vigorous rendition of a medley of music, such as "Linus and Lucy," "Tale as Old as Time," "Hobbiton," "Arabesque," and "Fur Elise." The six fantastical creatures who share my domicile greeted me in their own unique ways, some enraptured by my return, others suspicious of my sudden arrival, yet others shrugging their shoulders and turning back to their instruments. Good, they say. She's back. So let her fill the dishwasher.
And so I am home. And as the adventures change and shift like the various shades of a beautiful sunset, I smile, and hope you have all enjoyed seeing the photos and commentaries as much as I have enjoyed posting them.
And as I shall be seeing some of you soon - until then! And to the rest, adieu! Or until next time I find a magic wand or potion or box or ring to whisk myself away on another adventure. But that is another story, and so we shall save it for another day.
And wither then? I cannot say. But may the road rise to meet you, wherever it may lead ... and be sure to follow with eager feet. Anxious feet, tired feet, lazy feet, mired feet don't get you very far.
Wishing everyone a very merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year!
~ Catherine :)

5 comments:

  1. Love that picture!
    You'll have to post more about your travels with Mater dear. I'm dying to hear about it.

    And I really really hope to see you really really soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto!!!! :) So glad to made it back safe and had such a fantastic time! Stay in touch, darlin'!!! ♥ :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should keep blogging. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I second Julie's comment. Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you've all enjoyed the blog, and I'll be sad to stop, but somehow I have a feeling that writing papers at a certain tiny school in the back hills of MI won't be of as much general interest as doing so at Oxford. However, should I ever go back ... or go somewhere else ... you'll all be the first to know :)

    A very merry Christmas to all!
    Bis spater!

    ReplyDelete